Getting started with popups
Getting started with notifications
Onsite marketing best practices
Installing the notification feed on your website
Custom Setup Guides for Shopify Themes
Embedding the Feed
Advanced Feed Customization
How to I remove the notification feed from my site
Create your first notification
Notifications - Sync your new emails with Klaviyo
Integrate Wisepops with your ESP using Zapier
Add Wisepops with Google Tag Manager
Add Wisepops to Zoey
Add Wisepops to Webflow
Add Wisepops to Instapage
Add Wisepops to Blogger
Check your code implementation using Mozilla Firefox
Add Wisepops to Big Cartel
Add Wisepops to Drupal 8
Add Wisepops to BigCommerce
Check your code implementation using Google Chrome
Add Wisepops to Umbraco
Add Wisepops to Joomla
Add Wisepops to Squarespace
Add Wisepops to Magento 2
Add Wisepops to Google Sites
Add Wisepops to Cratejoy
Add Wisepops to 3dcart
Add Wisepops to Prestashop
Add Wisepops to Shopify
Add Wisepops to Weebly
Add Wisepops to Segment.com
How to add Wisepops to a custom website?
Add Wisepops to Wordpress/WooCommerce
How to add Wisepops to a Wix website
Add Wisepops to Volusion
Add Wisepops to SiteBuilder
Uninstall Wisepops from your Shopify website
Add Wisepops to Drupal 7
Add Wisepops to Neto
Wisepops on Single-Page Applications
Add Wisepops to Mono
Add Wisepops to Opencart
Design Your Campaign
Create SEO Mobile-friendly Popups
Write Your Own CSS Rules into Your Popups
Create a Spin-to-Win Campaign
Create a Thank You Message (or Display a Coupon) After Sign-Up
Use a custom font in your campaign
How To Add a Video to a Popup?
Insert social widgets into your popups
Form & Fields
Collect the URL on which the popup form is submitted
Collect the UTM parameters when a popup form is submitted
Adding more fields to your form
Select the dates available in your forms
Collect phone numbers / SMS opt-ins with Wisepops
Target a Popup To Display on Link Click
Target a Popup To Display on Hover
Adding a delay to your popup
On scroll trigger
Create an Exit Popup
Set Custom Events to Trigger Popups
Targeting new vs. returning visitors
How To Test Your Geotargeted Popups
Chrome’s Update and Its Impact on Source URL Targeting
Target a Specific Campaign
Exclude Your Existing Subscribers
Target or Exclude a Specific Country, Region or City
Target a specific language
Custom display rules
Contextual Targeting for Dummies
Set up Custom Properties for Wisepops
How To Test Your Custom Properties
Shopify Built-In Properties
How to Target (or Exclude) Visitors Who Have Seen a Specific URL
Use Google Tag Manager Variables as Custom Properties
Use Shopify Liquid Variables as Custom Properties
How To Retarget Visitors Who Saw a Specific Page on Your Website
Set Custom Properties Based on Cookie Values
Default Custom Properties in Magento
Display a Popup Based on an Alexa Rank Condition (With Clearbit)
Apply a Shopify discount code to the cart
Scheduling your campaigns
Archiving, Deleting or Restoring campaigns
How to duplicate and move a campaign
Stopping and Starting Campaigns
Set up the Google Analytics integration
Use Google Analytics to break down your popups performance by traffic channel
Wisepops events in Google Analytics (Universal Analytics)
Wisepops events in Google Analytics (GA4)
Use Google Analytics to identify the pages where your popups perform best
Use Google Analytics to analyze Wisepops impact on your sales
Track clicks on your links using Google Analytics
Set up Goal Tracking for Wisepops
How to set up Goal Tracking in Shopify
How to Set Up Goal Tracking in Magento
How to set up goal tracking using Google Tag Manager
Disable Wisepops on my device
How to Filter Out Internal Traffic
How to track clicks in HTML blocks
Time zone used for reporting
Download your emails or survey results
Understand the basic Wisepops metrics
How to track signups with a tracking pixel
Exclude your device
Connect Wisepops with Splio
Connect Wisepops with Mad Mimi
Connect Wisepops with Campaign Monitor
Connect Wisepops with Emarsys
Connect Wisepops with Ometria
Connect Wisepops with Bronto
Connect Wisepops with Experian (Cheetah)
Connect Wisepops with Zaius
Connect Wisepops with Selligent
Connect Wisepops with Actito
Connect Wisepops with Acoustic
Connect Wisepops with Voyado
Connect Wisepops with Listrak
Connect Wisepops with Omnisend
Connect Wisepops with Constant Contact
Connect Wisepops with GetResponse
Connect Wisepops with SmartrMail
Connect Wisepops with Keap (formerly Infusionsoft)
Connect Wisepops with Drip
Connect Wisepops with MailChimp
Connect Wisepops with ActiveCampaign
Connect Wisepops with Sendinblue
Connect with Mailjet
Connect Wisepops with HubSpot
Connect Wisepops with SendGrid
Connect Wisepops with Klaviyo
Connect Wisepops with dotdigital
My emails are not collected in Mailchimp
Connect Wisepops with Iterable
Connect Wisepops with Customer.io
Connect Wisepops with Pipedrive
Connect Wisepops with Yotpo/SMSBump
Connect Wisepops with Emotive
Connect Wisepops with Blueprint
Connect Wisepops with Postscript
Connect Wisepops with Klaviyo (SMS)
Send your leads to a Google Spreadsheet (using Zapier)
How can I take advantage of the Zapier integration?
Connect Wisepops with ConvertKit (through Zapier)
Send a notification when an email is submitted (through Zapier)
Connect Wisepops with AWeber (through Zapier)
Connect with Close.io (through Zapier)
Add Wisepops to Your Website
✨ How to create your first popup campaign
How to Create an Average Cart Value Booster
How to create a referral campaign with Wisepops
Use the wisepops() function on Shopify
Add a product to the cart when a CTA is clicked (Shopify)
How to create a cart recovery popup with Wisepops
How to create a survey with Wisepops
How to create unique Shopify discount codes in your popups
Embed a SurveyMonkey Quiz Into a Popup
How to create a cart recovery popup with Wisepops (Magento)
How to create a cart recovery popup with Wisepops (Shopify)
Display a campaign when a product is added to the cart (Shopify)
Embed a Typeform in Your Popup
Introduction to JS Callbacks
Stop Displaying a Campaign When the Cross Close Icon Is Clicked
Dynamically Add a Custom Parameter to a Redirect URL
Fire the Facebook Pixel When a form is Submitted
Forbid Disposable Emails in Your Signup Form
Display a Popup Only After Another One Has Been Seen (or Clicked)
Forbid Free Emails in Your Signup Form
Create a Spin-the-Wheel Popup Without Collecting the User’s Email Address
Add a coupon to the clipboard after signup
Create a Micro-Commitment Popup
Personalize the Content of Your Popup on the Fly
Apply filters to your dynamic variables
Inject the Name of the Visitor's Company into Your Popups (with Clearbit)
Display the visitor's city within your popup
Add Custom Validation to Your Signup Forms
Flag a Popup as Clicked With JS Code
Display a form field conditionally
Close a Popup With JS Code
Send the data collected by a form to the redirected URL
How to fix email synchronization issues
My popup doesn't display
How to handle required merge fields
Tips for effectively reporting an issue
Preview your popup on a hidden URL
Will Wisepops slow down my website?
Everything you need to know about the migration to V3
Collected emails don't appear on my dashboard
Can I use Wisepops on multiple domains?
Why does my popup look broken?
My Popup is Locked!
Can I show more than one popup on the same page?
Why does my popup appear for a few seconds and disappear?
Managing Your Account
Add, edit, and delete users
Use Distinct Websites for Staging and Production
Use right-to-left writing
Legal & Security
Table of Contents
Updated by Lisa Fockens
Wisepops makes it easy to target campaigns to visitors who are coming to your site for the first time, or are returning from a previous session.
Examples of use cases:
- Show a welcome offer for first-time visitors
- Welcome back returning visitors with a separate offer
In this article, you’ll understand how we define new/returning visitors, and learn how to target them with personalized campaigns in Wisepops.
What are new vs. returning visitors?
- New visitors are visitors who have never been to your website, according to Wisepops tracking snippet.
- Returning visitors are visitors who have visited your site before, according to Wisepops tracking snippet.
When someone starts browsing your website, Wisepops’s tracking snippet looks for a cookie on their device:
- If the cookie is not present, Wisepops considers this a ‘new’ visitor and creates the cookie.
- If the cookie is present, Wisepops considers this a ‘returning’ visitor and counts a new visit in the cookie.
• If a visitor came to your site before the Wisepops tracking snippet was installed, Wisepops doesn't know about it. They're considered as ‘new’ the first time they come back after the Wisepops snippet is installed.
• If a visitor accesses your site from multiple devices or browsers (for example, a laptop first and a smartphone later), Wisepops sees visits from each device as coming from a different user.
• Visitors using Incognito / Private Browsing Mode always appear as new users, since the browser doesn't save cookies.
• Every time the cookies are deleted or blocked, the visitor is counted as ‘new’ when they come back. With ITP 2.1, Safari deletes cookies after 7 days of inactivity.
Targeting new vs. returning visitors in Wisepops
- Navigate to the Display Rules > Audience tab in the campaign builder.
- Under the frequency section, select New Visitors or Returning Visitors
- Optional: You can refine your returning visitors rule based on the number of times they have been on your site and, optionally, the timeframe of visits.
How do I test my campaign using these rules?
Testing New Visitors:
- Clear your browser’s cookies before testing any campaign configured to show only to new visitors, or open a private navigation session indicating to Wisepops that you are a new visitor.
- Visit your website or page where the campaign should appear.
Testing Returning Visitors:
- Go to your website by typing the URL in the browser. Wisepops counts the start of a new visit if the referrer of the page isn't your own domain.
- To count a new visit, close the tab and open your website again by typing its URL.
- Navigate to the page where your campaign should appear for returning visitors.